Rome in 1 Day: Skip-the-Line Vatican, Colosseum & Ancient Rome Guided Tour
Cleaning and safety practices
- VIP access to the Vatican Museums & St. Peter's Basilica
- Chance to skip the long lines outside the Colosseum
- Remarkable views of the Sistine Chapel's renowned ceiling
- Opportunity to visit the Roman Forum & climb Palatine Hill
- Informative & insightful commentary from an expert guide
Rome In 1 Day: Vatican & Colosseum Skip-The-Line Tour
Live commentary in English. Select this option for the tour without transport. You will have a 2-hour break between the morning and afternoon tour to have lunch on your own.
The morning tour of the Vatican Museums starts at 08:30 am, while the Colosseum tour of the afternoon will start at either 1:30pm or 2:30pm, depending from low or high season. During the low season, which goes from November to March, the Colosseum tour starts at 1:30pm. During the high season, from April to October, the tour starts at 2:30pm.
Skip-the-Line Colosseum Guided Tour
Live commentary in Italian. Guided tour of the Colosseum & Ancient Rome sites. This option does not include a tour of the Vatican Museums
What's included, what's not
Know before you book
- You must show a proof of full Covid vaccination or a negative Covid test taken in the last 48 hours to be able to join this tour
- Hotel drop-off is not included; this tour ends near the Roman Forum.
- If you book the option without hotel pickup, you must make your own way to the meeting points for both tours, no transfer between the 2 meeting points is included. Check-in is 20 minutes prior to the booked tour start time.
- Due to shorter daylight, from October 28 the visit to the Palatine Hill will be replaced with an external explanation from the Capitoline Hill
- Please inform Gray Line - I Love Rome after booking if you have any special food requirements (if option with lunch is selected)
- The Basilica is an active place of worship and may be closed without prior notice for religious events. In this case the visit will be substituted by a visit to the Vatican Library
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible.
- If you book the option with hotel pickup, pickup is available from most centrally located Rome hotels beginning 30–60 minutes prior to your booked tour start time. You will be able to arrange pickup from your hotel or a nearby location when you call to confirm your reservation.
What you can expect
Discover the Eternal City's major highlights on a full-day guided tour. In the morning, explore the Vatican Museums and admire the Sistine Chapel. After lunch, step into Rome's ancient past as you discover monuments such as the monumental Colosseum, the triumphal Arch of Constantine, and the ruins of the Roman Forum.
Begin your day at the Vatican Museums, avoiding the long wait outside with skip-the-line entry. Your guide leads you through the museums and shows you the grand fresco sequences that mark the High Renaissance in Rome. Wander through the colourful Raphael Rooms—known for walls covered in Raphael's immortal frescoes—and step into the Sistine Chapel to get a first-hand view of the glorious ceiling painted by Michelangelo. From there, make your way into the vast nave of St. Peter's Basilica to discover this sacred pilgrimage site and place of worship.
In the afternoon, your exploration resumes as you uncover the archaeologic treasures of ancient Rome. Imagine the clashing swords of gladiators and the drama of maritime battles on the arena floor of the Colosseum, and then stroll in the footsteps of Roman citizens as you walk through the Roman Forum to see its temples, streets, and centuries-old gathering places. Your final stop is at Palatine Hill, where you can roam amongst the ruined foundations of imperial palaces as you look out over the city from this lofty vantage point.
Cleaning and safety practices
- Contactless ticket redemption
- Social distancing measures in place
- Personal protective equipment worn by staff
- Temperature checks given to staff
- Temperature checks available
- Masks required
- Vatican Museums
- Viale Vaticano
- Roma Lazio 00165
- Bar L'Ottagono (Morning Part of the Tour - if option WITHOUT Hotel Pickup is selected)
- 62 Piazza del Risorgimento
- Roma Lazio 00193
- Arch of Constantine (Afternoon Part of the Tour)
- Via di San Gregorio
- Roma Lazio
- Hotel Pickup (if option is selected)
- Rome Lazio