If it’s your first time traveling during COVID-19, you’ll notice a few more rules and standards in place. Follow these tips and make your getaway to Italy go off without a hitch:
- Find out if any travel restrictions apply to your destination and origin before locking in your flight. Also check if there are any requirements you’ll have to follow on arrival, such as undergoing health assessments.
- When you go through airport checkpoints, do not remove your face mask. You will be asked to lower it briefly to verify your identity. Passengers who refuse to wear a face mask may be fined and denied entry.
- Do not hand your boarding pass (paper or electronic) directly to a TSA employee. Instead, position the pass on the scanner and then hold it up so the agent can inspect it.
- You’re allowed to take one container of hand sanitizer up to 12 oz (350 ml) in your carry-on baggage. This will need to be taken out for X-ray scanning.
- Remove personal items from your pockets, such as your keys, phone and wallet, and place them in your carry-on instead of into bins. This will minimize handling during the screening process.
- Transport all food items in a clear plastic bag and also place them in a screening bin. Keeping food separate from your carry-on makes it less likely that a TSA officer will need to open your bag for inspection.