Travellers to Wellington give high marks for the fascinating museums, beautiful gardens and shopping. Tourists who journey to this welcoming city can discover its port, restaurants and cafes. Top sights in the city include Civic Square, Wellington Cable Car and Te Papa.
- There are 147 hotels and other accommodation options in Wellington
- The closest major airport is in Wellington (WLG-Wellington Intl.), 3.5 mi (5.6 km) from the city centre
- The next closest is in Paraparaumu (PPQ), 28.9 mi (46.5 km) away
Getting around Wellington
With so many transport options, exploring all of Wellington is a breeze. If you'd like to explore more of the area, hop aboard a train from Wellington Station, Wellington Kaiwharawhara Station or Wellington Crofton Downs Station. You can take a ferry from the local port.
Dressing for Wellington
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 21°C and the nighttime average to be 11°C
- From April to June, temperatures average about 18°C during the day and 6°C at night
- July to September averages 15°C during the day and 6°C at night
- Between October and December, the average temperature is 20°C during the day and 8°C at night
- Average annual rainfall for Wellington is 1244 millimetres
- Hottest months are usually February and January with an average temperature of 20°C, while the coldest months are July and August with an average of 6°C