Visiting Machu Picchu
History buffs will enjoy exploring Machu Picchu, and visitors give high marks for the riverfront. This cultural city also attracts tourists with its mountains.
- There are 102 hotels and other accommodation options in Machu Picchu
- The closest major airport is in Cusco (CUZ-Alejandro Velasco Astete Intl.), 44.1 mi (70.9 km) from the city centre
Getting around Machu Picchu
If you want to explore the larger area, hop on a train at Machu Picchu Station. Machu Picchu may not have many public transport options so consider renting a car to explore the city.
Dressing for Machu Picchu
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 20°C during the day and 6°C at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 20°C, whilst the average at night is 0°C
- July to September has daytime averages of 21°C with night-time averages of 0°C
- Between October and December, you can expect daytime averages of 21°C and nighttime averages of 5°C
- About 712 millimetres of rain falls on Machu Picchu each year
- Usually October and December are the hottest months with an average of 21°C, whereas July and June are often coldest, averaging 1°C